Monday, November 3, 2014

Defining Moments--C. Humphries

         There are many defining moments that have happened in my life time. Some I remember extremely well and others not so much. These events are not just based on world events but events that have affected my community. Three defining moments for my generation are Hurricane Katrina, 9/11, and the big storm that passed through earlier this year.
            Hurricane Katrina is the name of a big hurricane that passed over the Bahamas and many states on August 23, 2005. I was nine years old when the hurricane happened. I remembered sitting home with my mom watching the news. I didn't know what was happening but I watched anyways. That next morning I watch the 7:00 news to find that major damage was done to many the many places hit. At least 1,833 people died and over $108 billion dollars’ worth of damage was caused.
            Another widely known tragedy is the terrorist attack of 9/11. This happened on September 11, 2001 in New York City. I was in kindergarten and was five years old on that tragic day. Since I was only five at the time I don’t remember much, but I was in school in my teacher, Mrs. Wolf's, room.  A few years ago one of the other kindergarten teachers that taught back then told my class about that day. She said that we all gathered in her room and watched movies while they discussed the situation in the hall. As of now I can tell you more about the day 9/11 because all of the mini episodes they show the week of 9/11 every year.
            The big storm  here in Arkansas earlier this year is also a defining moment. I was seventeen at the time of the storm. It was late at night when it hit Camden. I remember waking up to my house shaking because of the thunder. The lighting didn't help me sleep any better. I finally went back to sleep after it settled down. When I woke up that next morning, I found that the power was out and a tree fell on a house I grew up in. To top it off, prom was that weekend and I had no power to get ready. The school was having prom no matter what. So Camden didn't have power for a while and it almost ruined prom for us.

            So everybody has a tragedy that happens in their life. Some are worse than others and some you may not even remember. Hurricane Katrina, 9/11, and the big storm in Camden are just a few that happened in my generation,

No comments:

Post a Comment